Remember yesterday when I shared that I was able to sit in on an awesome talk about healthy living on Wednesday morning. Well the speaker, my friend Joy as agreed to sharing her notes from the talk with all of you! Please enjoy her knowledge.
Certified AFAA, Health Coach, Physical Education
Bachelors Degree in Health and Exercise Science
-Proverbs 3:7-8, Proverbs 17:22
The Bible as the Guide
The Apostle John wrote: “Dear friend I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you even as your soul is getting along well.” (3 John 2)
“Would God have inspired John to pray that we would enjoy good health-physically, mentally or spiritually without giving us the required information? “ Dr. Rex Russell
Guess what- the Bible is the number 1 best health book. As well as the best history book, economic book, and of course spiritual book in all of time.
So what are your Beliefs and values on health? How were you raised? You can base your belief on scientific research, or what works for you. You can base it off of trend workouts, diet plans and self help books that you see on Facebook or in book stores.So here is my belief and values regarding Health. It is based off of scripture…the living word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable.”
For example, based on Scripture, I agree with Dr. Rex Russell
“The way I like to envision our sin nature is to consider how we just naturally like to do things our own way. I believe we are born with this trait as can be evidenced in a small baby who wants things done strictly according to his or her selfish impulses.”
I believe we want things selfishly based off of our sin nature. So we have a big problem when someone tells us how we should eat or live our life. I know I do. Our problem is we want good health and to be able to do whatever we like, eat whatever, do whatever. So maybe we should think of this more of a dare to be healthy God’s way.
Just like with anything, God warns us and has our best interest in mind. But, are we missing out on the health God promises his people by not following his Laws? In Hosea 4: 6 “My people are destroyed from lack of Knowledge.”
Old Testament or New?
So what does the Old Testament and New Testament say on Health? Thanks to Adam and Eve, there was a perfect nutritional plan. But, then the fall of man happened and thus entered disease. Genesis says, “ even the ground was cursed.”
God later had Moses write the law to His chosen people; what was clean and unclean. Clean meant to be separated for God (representing purity and holiness)
Unclean meant separated from God. Paul (new testament writer) taught that the Old Testament categories of clean and unclean no longer have spiritual significance. While it was possible to disagree on subjects such as Sabbath practices and circumcision and still be true to the essential gospel message. He goal was not to make what you ate and didn’t eat the focus of salvation. So now the Church does not negate the Old Testament law but fulfills the Old Testament Law in its entirety by faith in Christ through the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Old Testament law was put to set apart God’s people. Now Christ sets us apart. We now look at these laws for the purpose of glorifying God thru acknowledging His desire and design for our Health. Not to obtain spiritual salvation in how we eat. We don’t have to try to fulfill the Law, Christ did it for us when he died.
No food is spiritually unclean in itself; however, I believe that eating unclean can result in health problems, and even deadly diseases-Scientific studies agree with the Bible. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 talk about not allowing the knowledge of God’s grace to persuade you to take temptation lightly. You won’t know total victory until you get serious about resisting that temptation.
It’s more about the posture of the heart-in obedience to God’s health plan for us.
Three Principles to live by:
1. Eat foods God created for you
The clean foods he lists. Avoid what is not designed for food, The modern fast, processed diet has brought life expectancy down. Lets look at God’s nutrition plan and get more excited about that than over any trend diet.
2. Don’t Alter God’s Design
Eat the whole food as much as possible: Before they are changed or converted into something humans think might be better. In our pleasure seeking culture, we often concoct additives, chemicals and processed foods that take us away from our creators excellent design for our nutrition. Take bread for example. The bakery industry has removed 20 different vitamins and minerals from wheat to increase the storage life. Those lost nutrients and enzymes are the God-given balance to the kernel, that allows us to digest it properly. Avoid any product label that says enriched, degerminated or denatured-this means that the product probably retains little of its original nutritional value. Organic is the term used to describe any nutrient that is present in living things. Organic compounds include the essentials of life that is amino acids fatty acids and carbohydrates
3. Avoid Food Addictions
Don’t let food consume your attention-a place God reserves for himself. Don’t let any food or drink become your God. Don’t worship a carrot or apple, just thank God for them. Don’t depend on a diet soda, sugar or coffee to get you through each day.
Eat to live don’t live to Eat
What does the Bible say about Nutrition?
- Seeds were fashioned to bring forth life
- Grains (nuts) are the same family as grains- Genesis 1:29 “Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”
- Meat -Romans 14:6- “Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.” Jesus was not a vegetarian but if you don’t eat meat still give thanks to God. Lev. 11: 3, 13-20 “ You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews on the cud. All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you.
- Pork-Isa 65:3-4 a people who continually provoke me to my very face, offering sacrifices in gardens and burning incense on altars of brick; who sit among the graves and spend their nights keeping secret vigil; who eat the flesh of pigs, and whose pots hold brother of impure meat. The Bible looked down upon pork.
- Fish-Lev 11:9-10 Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean.
- Vegetables and fruits- Genesis 1:29 and the story of Daniel prove to the King that his diet of water and vegetables was better than the rich kings food.
- Wine-Prov. 23;29-32 Lots of scripture on warning about being drunk with wine (not to have confusion with leaders when concerning the gospel) lots of health benefits to wine and Jesus did drink wine. Modern wine can be filled with sugar and sulfates.
- Sweetner ( Honey) mentioned 56 times .Proverbs 24:13 My son eat thou honey because it is good and the honeycomb which is sweet to thy taste.
Lets not be a person whose reaction to truth is, as OVID the Roman poet wrote I see the better, and approve and –choose the worse”
THE 5 ELEMENTS OF FITNESS- STRIVING TO LIVE A FIT LIFE
God’s intention for our bodies is to move and labor
Fitness tips for kids and family:
- Body composition- is what your body is made of and how you are fueling it?
- With Kids, if they see you are stressed about this they “feed off of that” or if you have a negative attitude to vegetables they will follow, it’s easy to do.
- Do not make a big deal about what they eat by forcing. Reactions speak. Positive and Negative.
- They are a part of the family so they eat what you cook.
- Do not feel guilty about their taste buds not liking something healthy, do what is right for them and keep introducing. You are their teacher and guidance. You only have a small window to teach good habits and then they make their own choices. They will eat when they are hungry. Try not to make a different meal for them; they eat what the family is having.
- Try to not mention anything about weight to your kids. Don’t talk about your weight or theirs. Talk more about making their bones and strong muscles.
- Play you are what you eat with them, and have them take pride in their protein and vegetables. Let them help pick out the vegetable for dinner or help cook eggs.
- Stop putting so much emphasis on sugary treats with rewards- teach them about proper fuel for body, what can give you lasting energy.
- Read a book or fun flash cards on learning foods and vegetables. The more positivity on the subject the more success.
- Have your child stand on one leg and time him or her. How long can you hold your arms out? Have them bring their muscles against gravity.
- Adults its about Less weight and more reps.
- Have them use cans of food to lift
- Let them help with carrying groceries; and then say “wow look how strong you are”.
- Adults its about More weight, less reps.
- Encourage your kid to stretch each muscle group
- Get them in toddler yoga
- Make a game of stretching, put a song to it,” heads shoulder knees and toes”
- Have them sit on the floor and do homework in a stretch.
- Adults whenever you are sitting you should be stretching and practicing posture.
5.Cardio- you are exercising the heart muscle.
- Let them just run, run, run in an open field- (run with them)
- Hike with your kids
- Swimming is excellent, and less stress on joints
- Its National Heart month and you can celebrate each month, make a calendar and have them cross off each day they did something good for their hear
- The challenge is to not just be busy but be intentional about taking time to teach your kids about health. March is national nutrition month
In closing, Always be grateful for the health you have and show the Lord your gratitude by taking care of His temple.
7.Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
8 It will be health to your flesh, [a] and strength [b] to your bones.
Proverbs 7:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.